The Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) has been enforced since 1970 in the USA by the FinCEN. The BSA Officer, on the other hand, takes charge of financial institutions that are responsible for internal compliance with the relevant laws and regulations under the United States Bank Secrecy Act.
Internally, the BSA Officer is an integral part of a bank's legal and regulatory position, with detailed knowledge of the law and bank policies.
What Are The Task of the BSA Officer?
The Bank Secrecy Act was originally introduced to assist with criminal tax proceedings. Still, its scope has expanded over the years to include changes to AML policies and procedures, the US Patriot Act.
The BSA Officer oversees all perspectives of their firm's Bank Secrecy Act Compliance Program. It also develops the AML systems and controls of the institutions and reports to the authorities in case of suspicious activity.
What Are The Duties of a BSA Officer?
- Inform BSA-AML senior management about compliance and regulations
- Reporting to authorities and investigating suspicious activities
- Administrative and administrative visits from independent state and federal auditors.
- Assisting internal business units in risk assessments of money laundering-related activities.
- Coordinating and implementing responses to audits.
- Tracking and monitoring high-risk accounts and customers, performing relevant record-keeping activities.
- Maintain adequate knowledge of the current AML compliance environment.
Who Can Be a BSA Officer?
Persons with knowledge, experience, and authority must be BSA Officers. As it is a risky job description, some points should be considered when hiring a BSA Officer.
A BSA Officer must have adequate knowledge and understanding of both BSA and their organization's AML regulations. BSA Officers should be aware of and research the services they offer, their products, their customers, and the laws that the organization is bound to abide by. In order for the BSA Officer to fulfill all his duties and responsibilities, they must first receive compliance training and repeat these training at certain intervals.